Majura has a very supportive parent community. We recognise the important of parents, carers and the community in educating children and we provide a range of opportunities for parents, carers and the community to be involved in the school. Not only do parents directly support our teaching programs but they also demonstrate their support through the P&C, and the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Program with garden and kitchen classes, and general assistance.
Volunteering your time and expertise in working with young people is a highly valued part of our education system, especially at Majura Primary School. The Education Directorate Volunteers and Visitors policy can be found on the Directorate website. The policy recognises the wide range of benefits volunteering may bring, including:
- Expanding social, cultural and educational outcomes for students
- Facilitating input of indigenous communities in ACT public education
- Enabling greater exposure to the socio-cultural and linguistic diversity that community resources bring to schools
- Increasing communication between ACT public schools and the community
- Providing schools with a broader resource base from which to draw in providing opportunities for excellence and innovation, and
- Enhancing community spirit and cohesion.
People who offer volunteer services on a regular basis may need to be registered under the Working with vulnerable people legislation. Please enquire at the school, and for more information visit the ACT government website.