Welcome to Watson Preschool
In the ACT children are eligible for a year of government preschool if they turn 4 on or before 30 April in that year.
Majura Primary School runs a preschool site at Knox Street, Watson, and the program is available to children who live in Watson and Downer. Children who live in Downer and attend Downer Preschool retain their Priority Enrolment Area (PEA) status at Majura Primary School, and may enrol for Kindergarten.
In 2016 Watson Preschool received an 'exceeding' rating in all areas of the National Quality Standards Assessment and Rating process. We are proud of our strong community involvement and commitment to providing quality education to young children.
Respect - We provide a nurturing and inclusive environment aimed at building respectful relationships with the children, their families and our school community.
Excellence - We strive for excellence by providing challenging and engaging play based experiences, which develop the children's interests and capabilities.
Responsibility - We develop responsibility by encouraging a strong sense of belonging, independence and ownership.
The Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) is a national document that guides educators who work with children from birth to five. Fundamental to the EYLF is a view of children's lives as characterised by belonging, being and becoming. The EYLF incorporates the following five Learning Outcomes:
- Children have a strong sense of identity
- Children are connected with and contribute to their world
- Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
- Children are confident and involved learners
- Children are effective communicators
At Watson Preschool educators develop learning programs that are responsive to children's ideas, interests, strengths and abilities. The EYLF guides our educators in their curriculum decision making and assists in planning, implementing and evaluating quality programs.
At Watson Preschool our educators recognise that play-based experiences, in an environment where children can develop secure relationships, is vital for them to learn. The EYLF describes play as a context for learning that:
- allows for the expression of personality and uniqueness
- enhances dispositions such as curiosity and creativity
- enables children to make connections between prior experiences and new learning
- assists children to develop relationships and concepts
- stimulates a sense of wellbeing
We view curriculum as everything that happens during our time together with the children. It is the start of a life long learning community which encompasses children, educators and families.
At Watson Preschool we offer 30 hours per fortnight of preschool education. We run a 5 day per fortnight model, either:
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in Week 1, followed by Monday and Tuesday in Week 2
- Thursday and Friday Week 1 followed by Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in Week 2.
Watson Preschool currently runs four groups of 22 children. If you require a preschool place please contact us as soon as possible to check on availability. For further information about preschool enrolments, please visit our Enrolment page.
- Preschool Handbook
- Attendance Calendars